Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Good, Bad, and Ugly of STD Tests - What You Should Know About STD Testing

I feel that I have to start this article with a statistic that I found on American Journal of Medicine: "More than half of all people will have an STD/STI at some point in their lifetime." - American Journal of Medicine, 102(5A), 3-8. The number one reason why STD can affect half of all people is because they're often "silent." Even if you're infected, there could be no sign or symptoms. Different with what people said, I found that STD can be passed not only through sexual activity. It can be passed through skin contact, needles, or even breastfeeding. This is why I feel that STD Testing is not only important, but mandatory to all person, especially women. Don't you think so? I wrote this article listing my feelings why STD test can be down right ugly. Also, an opinion on what kind of STD test that protects your privacy, money and time. The UGLY side of STD Testing: Common STD Clinic Test Procedures a.k.a the "Dreaded Clinic Visit". Although the tests are not that bad, a swab here and there, etc. But there's one thing that I absolutely hate about going to the clinic to test it: the judging stares. Let's face it STD test is mandatory, a regular thing, but people associate it with low-morale standards. Furthermore, there are these reasons too: 1. Embarrassment. It's not exactly comfortable if you stand in front of your doctor/lab technician/etc and say, "I need to get tested for STDs." 2. It's expensive. A package of 7-10 STD test can cost up to $400. Not to mention, you have to consult to a doctor about the results, and that's another $80-$200 depending on the doctor. 3. It's a hassle to pick up the reports back to the lab. And having to endure embarrassment all over again. Life sucks. It's no wonder that many people postponed their STD test. I know I feel the same way. There's got to be another way! The BAD side of STD Testing: DYI at Home STD Test Kits a.k.a the "Collect Your Own Sample" STD Test. There's a lot of private services offer this at a good, affordable price. And because it's at home, I feel safe because my privacy is protected. Maybe you think, "so what's bad about it?" The result is not as accurate. The only type of home-test that can be applied to STD is urine-based. My doctor said that urine testing, although is very accurate on some type of STDs, can be inaccurate with other type of STDs. Blood test can fill the gap that urine testing can't do. This is not what I want. I want it to be accurate yet private. So what's the best type of STD test? Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3654396

No comments:

Post a Comment